Here is an article about our guest speaker that was published in today’s newsletter:
Today we were very lucky to have Joseph Ribarow come in to talk to us about the history of St Albans. He showed us lots of pictures and explained how life has changed from the past to the present in our local community. Here are some of the interesting things we learnt:
In the past, people at school had to get their water from the water tank – David
Joe didn’t have to wear a uniform to school – Hamionie
There was no K-Mart, the shops were smaller – Susan
Joe was born in Germany and he is 69 years old. He lived with his family in a one room bungalow – Marline
In week’s 3 and 4 of this term, the students in grade 1-2 were learning all about time! Here is some of the fun we had:
- In Mrs Gooderham’s class we had a heap of physical fun with a warm up on time! We counted how long different things took by clapping, doing star jumps, leap frogs and other fun things! We also used our knowledge of tens facts in one of the tasks!
- In Miss McCallum’s class, we read a beautiful Picture Story Book which gave us a look at many different aspects of time! We also looked at passing time and applied our knowledge of comparisons and timelines to show how long different tasks took!
- In Ms Stefanidis’ class we had a wonderful warm up where we linked counting, addition and number patterns in with calculating passing time! Then we worked on Calendars, looking at important dates and solved some questions on elapsed time on the calendar between dates!
- In Mrs Tran’s class we made our own analogue and digital clocks that we can manipulate to help us solve questions on time!
- In Miss D’s class, we practised our skip counting by 5’s and looked at counting by tens and the patterns we notice while we are counting! This helps us when we look at the five minute intervals on an analogue clock face! We also worked on passing time ordering our day using the class timetable, and ordered categorised things as long and short.
Welcome to the SAEPS grade 1-2 blog. We are very excited to share our learning and the wonderful things happening in our classrooms with our school community. Our team is made up of 6 classrooms with approximately 120 enthusiastic students.
Here are just some of the things we look forward to sharing with you:
- snapshots of our learning in English, Mathematics, History, Science and the Respectful Relationships Program
- links to great websites you can access to explore and learn new things
- team news, updates, reminders and special events
- school events and activities
Thank you for visiting and please enjoy our blog!
The 1-2 team 🙂